Sinclair Centre, where Services Canada is located today, started out as four separate buildings, built around 1910 and brought together in the 1980s with a glass atrium. It is currently under renovation.
The Post Office (1910)
It’s style is described as Edwardian Baroque and was the main post office in Vancouver until the late 1950s. Its 12-foot diameter clocks, which sit in the tower above Granville and Hastings, were restored in 1986.
The Winch Building (1911)
Located on the corner of Howe and Hastings this building was built by cannery pioneer Richard Vance Winch. It was designed by Thomas Hooper and was completed for $700,000 and sold to the federal government in 1925.
Customs Examining Warehouse (1913)
Sitting Howe and Cordova, this building was designed by Public Works’ Chief Architect David Ewart and was built by the federal government as a warehouse to handle federal requirements on imported goods. It was used by Customs until 1958. Until recently it was also the home of Morton’s Steakhouse.
The Federal Building (1937)
At the corner of Granville and Cordova this was built as an extension of the Post Office.
In 1983 it was announced that a block of four buildings downtown (between Granville, Hastings, Howe and Cordova) would get a $40 million facelift. This brought them together under one glass atrium roof, and one name. James Sinclair, a businessman from West Vancouver and also the father of Margaret Trudeau, was the development’s namesake.
757 West Hastings Street
All images used with permission from Downtown Vancouver BIA